Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Getting Serious About the Diet Plan

OK,OK
I have let the ball drop so to speak. I haven't posted here in almost 4 months. However, that doesn't mean that my diet plan has failed. Let's just say it has stalled a bit.

I lost approximately 8 pounds in April and May but simply changing what I eat. I met a doctor and told her about my difficulties with weight loss. She told me to start eating a raw diet. She said that was the only way for me to lose weight and it seems she was right. I started to try to eat 75% raw. The kicker is that I didn't diet. In fact, I gorged but I only gorged on good foods and good fats. I also tried to eat constantly. Admittedly, it was easy for me as I worked from home and could easily get some carrots or an apple every hour. Once I got in the swing of making enormous salads a few times a day I started to really enjoy the taste.

Once a day I would make a big salad with half and cucumber, a tomato or two, at least half a red pepper, half an avocado, large bunches of baby spinach and some cooked beans. I topped the salad with some good quality olive oil, some Bragg aminos, some apple cider vinegar, some sesame seeds or hemp seeds, and a good dose of capers. It was really good. I would make the same salad later in the day but I would substitute some roasted chicken breast for the beans.

For convenience, once or twice a week I would soak and boil an assortment of beans including garbanzo, pinto, kidney, lima, etc. I would keep the cooked beans in a Tupperware container in my fridge and just take a few scoop fulls at salad time. Also once per week I would BBQ 4 or 5 chicken breasts so they would be handy for my salads. It worked out well.

With very little effort I started to notice that I was losing weight. By mid-June I was a good 10 pounds lighter. It was easy as I was in control of what I ate. However, July and August were a bit of a problem. We spent those months with family. I lost a bit of control over meals and we didn't have a regular schedule. When I kept my spouse full there were no complaints. However, with an irregular schedule there were bouts of hunger and the complaints started. July and August saw more pizza than was appropriate.

It is now September and although, I'm not quite home I do have my own kitchen for a month and have started to eat raw again.

Given my bad July and September I have decided to do a detox and cleanse. I am on day 3 of the detox. The detox program is fairly simple. The first 3 days are restricted to fruits. You can have boiled eggs and white rice if needed. On day 4 you can introduce vegetables of which 20% can be cooked. I did this detox in April and it was a great way to kick start my weight loss.

I will explain the cleanse process in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment